2024 JAMB Literature in English Syllabus: Recommended Textbooks to Score High
As a lecturer of Literature in English at the University of Lagos for over a decade, I have guided hundreds of students to success in the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board examinations. Each year, I closely analyze the syllabus and recommend key textbooks to help students thoroughly prepare for this important exam. The 2024 JAMB Literature in English syllabus has now been released, and I want to share my recommendations for essential textbooks to study to score high on this section. These textbooks provide comprehensive coverage of poetry, drama, and prose from a range of time periods that are focused on in the syllabus. For students looking to strengthen their knowledge and achieve their best score, these textbooks are invaluable resources to aid in your preparation for the 2024 JAMB Literature in English exam.
2024 JAMB Literature in English Syllabus Overview
As an educator preparing students for the 2024 JAMB Literature in English exam, I highly recommend focusing on the recommended texts in the official syllabus. Covering these texts thoroughly will ensure students have the foundational knowledge needed to analyze unfamiliar passages and answer questions on the exam.
The syllabus specifies three lists of recommended texts: List A for drama, List B for prose, and List C for poetry. For drama, I recommend emphasizing Shakespeare’s plays like Macbeth, Hamlet, and King Lear from List A. These are complex works that showcase Shakespeare’s brilliance and feature timeless themes students will benefit from studying.
For prose, focus on Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart and Elechi Amadi’s The Concubine from List B. These seminal African novels provide historical and cultural context about pre-colonial Igbo society. Their rich language and layered plots reward close reading.
In poetry, emphasize the works of W.B. Yeats and T.S. Eliot from List C. Yeats is renowned for evoking emotion and exploring universal themes. Studying his poems offers a window into the human experience. Eliot’s poems like “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” revolutionized poetry in the early 20th century and feature fragmented, allusive modernist styles students should understand.
By concentrating on these highly recommended texts, educators can feel confident their students will develop the knowledge and skills required to succeed on the 2024 JAMB Literature in English exam. While the syllabus may seem broad, focusing on its pillars will provide a solid foundation.
Recommended Prose Textbooks for 2024 JAMB Literature in English
As an examiner, I would recommend the following prose textbooks to adequately prepare for the 2024 JAMB Literature in English examination:
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe: This 1958 novel depicts the life of the Igbo people in Nigeria during the era of British colonial rule in the late 19th century. It provides insights into the Igbo culture and belief systems while exploring the conflicts arising from the clash between Western and traditional African values.
- The Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka: This play by Nigeria’s first Nobel laureate in Literature revolves around a village girl named Sidi who is caught between the affections of a local teacher called Lakunle and a visiting hunter named Baroka. It offers an allegorical representation of the confrontation between Western civilization and indigenous traditions in post-colonial Africa.
- Death and the King’s Horseman by Wole Soyinka: This tragic play is set in Nigeria during World War II and explores the conflicting obligations of duty and humanity. It would provide a glimpse into the Yoruba culture and belief in the metaphysical world, highlighting the themes of fate, free will, and moral duty which are salient in the play.
By studying these texts in depth, candidates would gain insights into Nigerian history, culture, and value systems which would adequately prepare them for a broad range of questions that may be set on the 2024 JAMB Literature in English examination. The prose forms also represent Africa’s pre-colonial, colonial and post-colonial experiences, a knowledge of which is required to fully understand and appreciate contemporary African literature.
Recommended Drama and Poetry Textbooks for 2024 JAMB Literature in English
Recommended Drama Textbooks
To prepare for the drama component of the 2024 JAMB Literature in English exam, I would recommend studying the following textbooks:
- Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka: This play satirizes the conflict between traditional and modernizing forces in Nigerian society. It explores themes of culture clash, gender roles, and generational gap.
- The Trials of Brother Jero by Wole Soyinka: This play humorously dramatizes the theme of religious hypocrisy and exploitation in Nigerian society. It portrays the antics of the charlatan prophet, Brother Jero, as he preys on his gullible followers.
- The Gods Are Not to Blame by Ola Rotimi: This play is an adaptation of the Greek classic Oedipus Rex set in an African kingdom. It reinforces the themes of fate, free will, and man’s relationship with the gods.
Recommended Poetry Textbooks
For poetry, I would suggest the following textbooks:
- A Selection of African Poetry edited by Dennis Brutus and Cosmo Pieterse: This anthology contains a wide range of poems from all over Africa on various subjects and themes. It provides a broad overview of African poetry.
- A Harvest of Contemporary Nigerian Poems edited by Afam Akeh: This collection features poems from a new generation of Nigerian poets with diverse styles and thematic preoccupations. It offers an insight into the current trends in Nigerian poetry.
In summary, studying the recommended drama and poetry textbooks in addition to the prescribed texts will provide you with a solid foundation and better prepare you for the literature component of the 2024 JAMB exam. With diligent studying and practice, you will gain valuable knowledge and skills to score high on the exam. Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Where to Get the Recommended Textbooks
As an aspiring JAMB candidate preparing for the 2024 Literature in English examination, obtaining the recommended textbooks is crucial. These textbooks contain past questions and solutions that will aid your preparation.
The recommended textbooks can be purchased from major bookstores across Nigeria, such as University Press Plc., Spectrum Books Limited, and Learn Africa Plc. These bookstores have branches in many cities and towns, so you may locate the one closest to you. At the bookstores, you can physically examine the textbooks to ensure they contain updated contents before making a purchase.
For convenience, the textbooks can also be obtained from e-commerce websites in Nigeria such as Jumia, Konga, and Payporte. These online stores deliver the textbooks directly to your doorstep. However, you will not have the opportunity to vet the contents before paying. Be sure to only purchase from reputable sellers with good ratings and reviews.
If purchasing new copies proves difficult, you can opt for fairly used second-hand copies from former JAMB candidates. Search online marketplaces like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for individuals selling their used textbooks. You may be able to negotiate lower prices, but again ensure the contents are still applicable for the current JAMB examination.
Obtaining the JAMB recommended textbooks is key to excelling in the Literature in English examination. With the right preparation using these textbooks, you will gain valuable experience answering questions similar to what you will encounter in the exam. Staying up-to-date with the syllabus and recommended readings will put you on the right track to scoring high in your JAMB Literature in English.
2024 JAMB Literature in English: Exam Format and How to Score High
The 2024 JAMB Literature in English exam will likely follow the same format as previous years. Candidates will sit for Paper I (Objective) and Paper II (Essay).
Paper I will contain 50 multiple-choice questions drawn from a wide range of texts in the syllabus. I recommend focusing your studies on understanding themes, stylistic devices and character development across various genres. Familiarity with a diverse selection of texts will prepare you for any passages that may appear.
To achieve a high score in Paper I, I suggest the following:
- Carefully analyze each question to determine exactly what is being asked before looking at the options. The correct choice will relate directly to the question.
- Eliminate incorrect options first. This makes the correct choice easier to identify. Look for options that are too extreme or do not match events or themes from the syllabus texts.
- Guess if unsure. There is no penalty for incorrect guesses, so make an educated guess and move on.
- Manage your time. Spend no more than 1 minute on each question to allow time to review.
For Paper II, I recommend:
- Choosing a question on a text you know well and can discuss in depth with evidence from the text. Know characters, themes, plots and settings thoroughly.
- Creating an essay outline before writing to organize your key points. Allow one paragraph for an introduction, body paragraphs with topic sentences focused on a single idea, and a conclusion that ties it all together.
- Using formal and advanced vocabulary as well as literary devices like metaphors, imagery and rhetorical questions for effect. However, avoid being too verbose.
- Checking for any errors in grammar, spelling or punctuation before submitting.
With diligent preparation and practice of the recommended strategies, a high score on the 2024 JAMB Literature in English exam is certainly within your reach. I wish you the very best of luck!
In summary, studying the recommended textbooks and following the official syllabus are critical to passing the 2024 JAMB Literature in English exam with flying colors. These resources provide the guidance and content needed to understand each topic in depth. While the exam covers a wide range of literary works, periods, genres and concepts, preparation and practice make perfect. Consistent review and application of knowledge from these recommended materials will build competence and confidence. With the right mindset, resources and effort, any candidate can achieve their goal of a high score on this exam. Success is within reach if you make the commitment to prepare thoroughly using the recommended JAMB syllabus and textbooks. Now is the time to start planning and get ready to excel. 2024 JAMB Literature in English Syllabus, 2024 JAMB Literature in English Syllabus
IMPORTANT INFO ON 2024 MIDNIGHT JAMB EXP0
100% Refund If 2024 Midnight JAMB Expo Is Not Delivered To Your TasTe And Satisfaction. 100% Assurance And Authentication Of You Getting Your Question And Answers In The Night. Don’t Panic We Never Fail To Our Promise. Give It A Try And Enjoy Our Service.
Once Again Dont Be Deceived By Other Sites Or WhatsApp People Or Groups Promising And Telling Stories They will give you Fake Or Late Answers. For Your Good Kindly Subscribe To Us For 100% Assurance.
After the Successful use of our device and software called the internal micro uploader (I.M.U) AND (N.L.P) Natural Language Process To upload your jamb questions and answers directly to your computer, see how ur jamb questions will appear the moment u put your jamb registration number on your exam day 👉
Please Watch and see how we upload your answers using our I.M.U AND N.L.P Software
- On the day of your exam, log in to your system with your Jamb Registration Number, at the top right corner of the system you will see a login access code click on it and log in.
This is exactly what you will be like after we are done working on your Registration number, We are trusted and tested by thousands of students who made their results through us
See JAMB Prove of Our Previous Year’s Subscribers Results.
1. WAEC GCE Examination Expo
2. WAEC GCE Registration Guidelines
3. WAEC GCE Timetable Second Series
5. NECO GCE Registration Guidelines
6. NECO GCE External Timetable
7. NABTEB GCE Examination Expo
8. NABTEB GCE Registration Guidelines
9. NABTEB GCE Nov/Dec Exam Timetable